Thursday, April 18, 2013

Change, has no place in Public Education.

After teachers return from conferences I always try to pick their brain and find out what was good and what they might change.  So when our latest group returned recently I was entertained by the answers.  "Had some good sessions and some bad ones. But the last one was a downer"

Why was that I inquired.

The summary went something like this; "These two teachers were talking about how all classes need to individualized to students interest and needs.  They were college professors who had no idea what they were discussing and in the end it sounds good but has no place in public schools."

As I pondered these words, I was struggling with if it didnt belong in a public high school than where did it?

As education continues to be in the news and teachers, millionaires, TV host and everyone in between try to fix education, what is holding it back?

I walked away trying to grasp just how much teachers are holding back meaningful change in education.  Even when we know something can help students we are resistant to it.  There have been so many articles about education that I have no intent in reinventing the wheel here, but I struggle with the numerous ways teachers justify doing the same things yearly.

Lead by example and than everyone else won't be so "gung ho" to fix the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How have we improved?

  This Ted style talk was deliver in 2014. Lots of things have changed since 2014.  We have faced global pandemic.  We have seen multiple ...