Friday, August 2, 2013

The waiter.

Took my 3,5 and 8 year old to dinner last night and we had a waiter that was okay at best.  It flashed me back to one of the all time great movie moments from Reservoir Dogs when they are discussing tips.  As always with my family, I asked them what they thought of the service?  Now before anyone quips, have you ever waited tables or some random excuse, I want it to be known that with my gang eating out is always a way to save a mess at home so there is always some sort of tip.  Back to the question and answers.  The answers ranged from "not very good", to "Dad you went and got the ketchup".  So it is safe to say the service was sub par.  

So then the conversation turned to why do we tip.  This leads me to teachers and school.  I have talked about this idea before but think if each student tipped daily based on service.  Not shared tips but they gave it to who they thought was the best.  What makes a waiter or waitress more deserving?  
Where they happy?  Do they like their job?
Where they helpful?  Whats good today?
Did they know the menu?  Whats this or whats in this or how spicy is this?
Did they look for opportunities to help? Your water is almost empty, let me refill that.
Did they forget about me? Would be nice to get some extra ranch...

I am fully aware that teachers will make some great arguments against my analogy but I believe it is a seed worth planting.  We in education are in a service industry.  Most educators are happy but do we show it?  If your not happy move on.  Are we helpful and accommodating or do we find excuses to not be?  Do we know our content as well as how it applies the real world.  Most teachers know their stuff but the best ones are the ones that relate it to each student.  The disruptive or sleeping student is begging for help but do we find a way to help or send them away.  Think about someone sleeping in a restaurant.  Why don't we see that more?  Do we forget about students?  How can we make sure that just because you get "it" or raise little fuss we don't forget about students?  

I wonder how many bad days we just write off as teachers.  If our livelihood depended on our tips would we have a lot less?  Random dinner conservations can lead anywhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How have we improved?

  This Ted style talk was deliver in 2014. Lots of things have changed since 2014.  We have faced global pandemic.  We have seen multiple ...